Nearly 50 million Americans have a disability. That’s almost 20 percent of the population. Their disabilities range from low vision and hearing loss to limited fine motor control and an inability to process large amounts of information.
When it comes to online experiences, people with disabilities are no different than the rest of the population. They want user-friendly navigation, interactive ease and equal access to your services and information.
Making your website accessible is the only way to connect with people with disabilities online. It should be a goal of every healthcare organization’s digital marketing plan. Here’s why:
1. It’s the right thing to do. We all have a responsibility to acknowledge and respect individuals with disabilities, and to treat all people equally.
2. It reaches more people. A universal design makes your site usable by the greatest number of people.
3. It’s good for business. Patients with disabilities will book appointments on accessible sites and become paying customers.
4. It aligns with technology trends. In the past, developers did not design new technologies with accessibility in mind. But that’s changed. Tech companies today integrate accessibility into their platforms.
5. It’s the law. Did you know you could go to court over inaccessibility? The American Disabilities Act (ADA) says “places of public accommodation” must not discriminate against individuals with disabilities. The law not only extends to physical locations, but virtual sites as well.
Several online resources can show you if your website needs accessibility updates. Educate yourself and then discuss the issues with your website provider or designer. Check out:
- Wave Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool. Enter a URL and the site delivers an immediate custom evaluation.
- Siteimprove Accessibility Checker. Explore your site and get real-time feedback with this Chrome extension.
Designing digital marketing campaigns with accessibility at the forefront helps customers with disabilities feel included. Plus, it makes it easy for them to seek out your services, form a relationship with you and build brand loyalty. Reach out to us to get started.